Ok, so I’ve been working on a basic scarf (aka big long rectangle 😀 ) for the last 2 weeks now, and I’ve made mistakes, undid, re-did, undid, and re-did again, and I think I’m getting the hang of the basic stitches now. Because it’s been a basic “get-to-know” process, I’ve been using some cheapy needles and acrylic yarn from Wal-Mart. Still the process has been fun, and I find it very relaxing while watching television in the evenings. Oh, yeah, and that yarn bowl is working out GREAT!
I’ve been reading up on different yarns are out there, why weight and needle size are important, and I’m ready to experiment with some different materials. Because of my sensitive skin, I am gravitating towards cotton and bamboo. I am particularly intrigued by bamboo, because it is naturally organic (grown without pesticides), and eco-friendly (harvesting doesn’t kill the plant, so it quickly renews itself). There are plenty of other benfits too (thanks, knitting.about.com):
- Bamboo yarn, when not mixed with unnatural fibers, is biodegradable.
- Bamboo yarn is often dyed with more natural dyes that are safer for the environment.
- Bamboo fabric is naturally antibacterial.
- Bamboo also has ultra-violet protective properties.
- Fabric knitted with bamboo is quite breathable and cool and has great drape.
- Bamboo has a good luster, similar to mercerized cotton.
- Bamboo is strong, flexible, and can be softer than silk when spun into yarn.
I tried looking at local stores first, but most only carry the conventional fibres–wool, silk, alpaca, cotton, polyester and acrylic. There is only one Canadian online store, imrsheep.com, who carries it, that I have found so far, but the shipping fees are steeper than I would like (about 30% of the cost of the yarn itself!). After much web-surfing, I came across a British company, loveknitting.com, that has a HUGE selection of everything you could possibly need, with a team who seems to really love knitting (I love that everyone is photographed with needles and yarn, no matter the confessed knitting ability). BONUS: free shipping after $50 CAD! I am so there!
By the way, you can probably expect a big long rectangle, I mean, scarf, from me for Christmas 😀 😀 😀
Thanks for reading!