When we were dating, my now-husband had a queen sized duvet and a king sized duvet cover. His reasoning for this was to make the blanket “appear” bigger, and to cover the sides of the bed better. However, all it really meant was that the duvet would constantly shift inside the cover and you could never get it properly centered. Moreover sleeping meant someone was always a little short on the blanket coverage. Fast forward 10 years later, and I finally decided to get a king-sized duvet, so that we could both sleep under something at night 😛
After some researching and waiting for sales, I bought a Sleepology Coolmax duvet from Home Outfitters at 50% off. Then came the task of finding a duvet cover to fit.
I learned that no two duvets are the same size and neither are duvet covers. How annoying is that? Not to mention, they are expensive! Most king sized covers run about $200, and they’re not even very good quality fabric. After looking online, I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult to make my own! I found this how-to, with measurements, and set to work.
I found some beautiful upholstery fabric at half off from my local Fabricland. I used a similar coloured cotton broadcloth for the underside. The basic idea is to make a centre panel of the full width of the fabric and 2 side panels of half the width of the fabric.
While this was the biggest project, size-wise, I’ve ever undertaken, it’s also the one of the easiest–as long as you can sew a relatively straight line, you can attach giant rectangles together. Sort of like a huge pillow case 😀 In the end it cost me about $95 for the fabric, since the zipper was free, and it took about 6 hours to put together. Definitely worth it!
Thanks for reading!